Friday, September 5, 2008

Aug 22 – Sick

This morning I woke up with a sore throat! I’m assuming it’s because of all the late nights that we have been having, so I went down to see the doctor, and see if could get some meds – she told me that I wasn’t alone, she figured she had already gave out 20 bottles of cough syrup, which was no surprise to me. Athletes are pretty extreme people, meaning we do things at 100%, all or nothing. Well that includes going out and having fun. Athletes don’t normally get a chance to go out to a club and actually have a couple drinks and relax when we are training, so when the Olympics is over its normally – Eat, sleep, Cheer on other team mates still competing and party, emphasis on the party, because we all know in a couple days its back to the gyms and back to work for the next 4 year cycle. I used to think wow 4 years is such a long time, well in one way it is, but before I know it, I will be back trying to qualify for 2012 and back writing about my 2nd trip to the games, and hopefully back to take a medal. Nothing is 100% so I still have a lot of work to do, and it’s still going to be hard to qualify and even harder to make sure that I have the day of my life in 4 years, and take that medal.

After getting my meds I went back upstairs and fell back asleep, when I woke up it was early afternoon so I went down stairs to see if I could get any track and field tickets – which I couldn’t! But my buddy Mike Brown ended up having 3 tickets that he reserved and wasn’t going to use so Sasha, Frazer and I went to watch some track and the main event - the 4 x 100m relay final!.. BOLT from Jamaica, all I can say is wow – two world records in the 100 and 200m and one more to try and make history. Well the night had some good races and exciting events but when the 4 x 100m relay teams started coming out on to the track, you could just feel the energy in the air. Everyone started to get up and cheer. People were about to witness history if Jamaica could take the world record away from the Americans. The Americans couldn’t even try to defend the title because they actually were not even in the final. They ended up dropping the baton in the semi final so they failed to make it to the final for one of the first times in Olympic history!
The 100m relay was awesome, after the first 2 runners the heat was pretty much dead even, that is until Jamaica handed the baton off to the fastest man alive – Bolt, wow he took off like a bullet out of a shot gun. We were sitting at the finish line which was pretty sweet, so we could see the finish - but we could also see when bolt got the baton and within a few steps he had the outright lead and after a few more Jamaica was sure to win. When Bolt handed the baton off to Powell, the rest of the field was now only racing for the silver and bronze medals, and Jamaica claimed yet another gold medal in sprinting and a new world record to boot. Canada ended up coming very close with a 6th place finish, I say close because all the times were within 1/100 of a second apart. Which is pretty crazy!

Anyways track and field finished up around 10pm so we headed back to the dorms to get ready for our night out to Suzy wongs, which is just another club type scene. I actually ended up leaving early from there because I was very tired and just needed some rest, plus I was not feeling very good all day. Actually the only reason I went out is because the Olympics doesn’t come around everyday so I wanted to go and chill out with some other athletes from other countries and meet new friends. I have actually have made a lot of new friends from different sports which is kinda cool, because now I have connections and friends in even more places all over the world :P... vacation anywhere in the world and have friends to visit.

No comments: